Tuesday, 17 August 2010

The ow, hurt, grr arrgh pain blog!

OK so here it is, the I'm in pain and hate it blog.

So I have lower back pain on the right side and down my right leg 24/7 along with PSD (Pelvic Symphus Dysfunction) although both get to dull ache and stiff stage once taken my painkiller (and the SD not so bad as long as  am not martial arting!), but now I also get a stiff neck and headaches (oh the bloody headaches) and on top of all that I am now suffering constant tingly feelings on my last 3 fingers of left hand as well as spasms in my wrist, all this and not my physio or my doc really quite know what is wrong, other than the fact that I am too young to be feeling this broken.

When I spoke to my doc about the first pain (back & pelvis) I mentioned that my previous doc 2 years before had mentioned that I could be developing AS (Ankylosing Spondilytis) but she wasn't sure as it was the first time I had come to her with back pain.  At the time I checked the symptoms and agreed with her that probably not as I only had say 3 out of 10 symptoms but before I went to the doc this time round I checked again and now had nearly all the symptoms, my doc kind of ran with this and here I am, the painkillers not working as well as I had hoped and the physio great for about 1/2 max after and then back to square one, even doing my exercises that the physio has given me.  I only get to see the physio once a month as she is so busy so each visit is like going back to square one.

So what do I do?  try another doctor and get a 2nd opinion or some tests at least so that I know that I am not going crazy? I read other stories of sufferers of this pain (and AS if that's what it is) that have at least had a blood test to check for inflammation and have a certain marker in their system.

I have read other stuff too that kind of rings true to me in the fact that diet can help.  Studies have shown that there could be a link between IBS and AS and that IBS could be treated as an autoimmune disease the same as AS.  Apparently some people who choose a low starch and low dairy diet and stick to meat and vegetables can reverse this problem (well it couldn't hurt right!)  I do suffer with IBS it would seem now that I have kept a food diary and it is bread/potatoes and cheese that seem to give me the most upset stomach and this also is when the back pain can sometimes be worse (though it could be a coincidence).  I have done a blood test that confirms that I have an intolerance to some foods but could not afford the full test to tell me which foods they were, I don't know it all so bloody hard.

All I know is that I need to lose weight, to do that really well I need to be active, the main type of active I like is Tae Kwon Do and high impact aerobics, which contributed to the pain that I am in, and when in pain although I know that it will help, the last thing I want to do is exercise.
So there, losing weight hard, even if sticking to a strict regime of nothing but rabbit food.

So I think that I am going to cut back on the bread, potatoes and cheese and hope that it eases the pain and helps with the weight too as well as strating up my food diary again to monitor the calories too, then maybe if feeling less painful I can exercise and that will help the weight too!  Whoa, reading this, and only in this respect, it sucks to be me!!!

Wish me luck!

Sara xx

No comments:

Post a Comment